Friday, May 13, 2011

The First 8213 Days of My Life

Well... here is my life story, blog style!

I have a great family! They mean the world to me!

I was born and grew up in Farmington, MN.  My mom did daycare when I was little, so I always had friends over! My dad was the city engineer. My brother is 10 years older than me, and my sister 5.  I was a loyal Farmington Tiger and a dancer at Brenda's School of Dance for 14 years. Dance was my life! I started when I was 5 years old. I think I had a fairly normal childhood. 

But, alas, when I was 7 I started having medical problems. And, today, that is one of the things that I still struggle with. But more on that shortly.

When I was seven I ended up with my tonsils and adenoids being removed. It was supposed to be same day surgery... but didn't go very well.  Then, once recovered from that, I started having problems where my heart rate would jump up to around 270bmp for no apparent reason. Luckily, we found out quickly what was going on thanks to an amazing pediatrician and the ER being so close to home at the time. I had SupraVentricular Tachycardia (SVT).
This ended in a cardiac ablation when I was eight. Luckily that went well, and I was able to return to a pretty normal childhood! 
I loved being a kid!
I loved playing outside! 
I loved dance! 
I loved friends!
I loved school!
And all of that continued through high school. I had some medical setbacks then though too.
Ovarian cysts and appendicitis which was just a minor bump when I was twelve. 

Unfortunately, when I was 13 or 14 I started having some trouble with depression.  Shortly after I started having problems, my cousin, Ben, committed suicide. (I will definitely talk about this more later on as it was a big part of my life and I still miss him every day)

But my main medical problems through high school was my depression along with migraines.


Although, despite that, I was the overachieving, straight A student who graduated with a 4.0 and honors in 2006.

Then I took my show on the road and headed to the University of St. Thomas to start my college career. 
And that is where I met Ryan...

While I was at St. Thomas I had some setbacks and hard times medically.  I got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia during my sophomore year... And everything that goes with FM.

Oh, and my adenoids regrew, so I had to have them re-removed.

But, despite having some pretty crappy setbacks, I graduated in May of 2010 with a degree in Mathematics and another almost degree in Education. 




Then, last summer, I had a really bad depressive period. I was also having such bad body pains, migraines, etc that I could barely function.  And this starts to get in to things I am still dealing with. 

I did an intensive outpatient program to help with my depression and anxiety over the summer at Prairie Care. 
If you or anyone you know is struggling with depression and anxiety, this is a great place to start healing. 

Then, I had to deal with more of my physical symptoms, so I ended up doing the chronic pain program at Courage Center in October 2010. It is a great three week inpatient program!


And I thought, "Hey, I am actually starting to feel better."
Little did I know, 2011 had something else in mind for me. I started having problems with my heart-rate again. Going too fast for no good reason yet again. And this has been a huge part of all of my troubles this year. 

And more to come on the other 132 days of my life later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment